Monday, March 30, 2009

I Love Sports

I've never been a big t.v. spectator of sports, but I love to be a live spectator of most sports and to participate in them as well.

My earliest memories are of t-ball and swimming at Harper's Point. I remember being picked as an all-star my first year in t-ball and was totally confused as to why because I was terrible. Yet, my second year, in which I was amazingly good (at least that's how my memory remembers it) I was not picked to be an all-star. I was oftentimes on the Car Wash Plus team (the company that Ashley Austin's dad owned).

As for swimming, I think I had a love/hate relationship with it. Sometimes I really enjoyed it and other times I wished I didn't have to do it. I was never a star, but was good enough that I oftentimes placed 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. My most vivid memory from swimming is the one time I was put in a race for the butterfly. It was my first and last time. I was soooo far behind in the race that the officials were getting ready to start the next race and the lane judges for me had to frantically get his attention to let him know that I was still going.

Soccer - probably my favorite sport. One thing I remember from soccer is that I was always a goof-off at practices. I remember this in elementary school and in middle school. But I don't think I was too much of a goof-off to ever really upset coaches. I always begged to play goalie and for a long time no one would let me. Then someone did let me and then from there on out, that's usually what I played. My other position was usually left forward wing (I think that's what it's called). I was and still am terrible at defense. In middle school, when my hypoglycemia was pretty bad, I remember trying to explain to a coach of mine that if we were playing a really bad team, I could not be left in goal because I would get really light headed if all I did was stand there. He didn't get the message at all and laughed at me. That made me cry. As I tried to participate in school soccer, I was always good enough to make the team, but never good enough to really have any playing time. So school soccer was not for me, I much preferred community soccer.

Lacrosse became a love of mine in middle school. St. Andrew's had a big lacrosse program and since I was a bench-warmer on the soccer team, I decided to try lacrosse. I first started out as a D-Wing, but I ended high school as first home. When we moved to Indiana, Dad started a lacrosse team there and I was able to play varsity all four years of high school. It was cool two summers ago to watch Carmel's 4th of July parade and to see the girls' lacrosse team marching in it. My freshman year at BYU I started to practice with the lacrosse team, but then I broke my finger in an intramural soccer game and after it was all healed I never went back to lacrosse. I still have all three of my sticks though.

In college, I loved intramurals and I'm so glad BYU has such a great intramural program. I've played both girls' and coed soccer and intertube waterpolo. I loved them all, but intertube waterpolo was probably my favorite. Once I started having kids it became a lot harder to participate and work out schedules, also I started to go to school just part-time and so we had to pay extra money for me to play and it wasn't always worth it. But I love that others get to play and that the team is usually named after one of my kids (For Pete's Sake is the name again this year). Tim and DJ have a game tomorrow night and if they win that they have another game on Thursday night!

I love sports and I'm so glad that they were able to be a part of my life growing up. I'm excited for Peter and Benjamin to have a chance to play them as well and I'm glad that they already love so many sports.

1 comment:

Shauna said...

I am new here! What a great blog :)